Sunday, April 15, 2012

Blog Post #11

Little Kids...Big Potential


This week's Blog Post assignment was to watch the following two videos, which were Skype interview with Ms. Cassidy and  First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class. I was amazed at the fact that the kids in Ms. Cassidy's class knew how to use technology so well. I must admit that before enrolling in Dr. Strange's EDM310 class, I was not used  to blogging, connecting with classmates on a weekly basis, or using PLN's, just to name a few. The students used blogs to improve their handwriting skills, as an online portfolio for their work, and for feedback purposes. They know that you have to say nice things and be safe on the internet. They also used web pages to find valuable information on the internet, choose pages to help them learn, and also the web pages can be accessed at home. I admired the fact that they used Wikis to know what traditions or rituals were, and also as a learning tool for ABC's. I can relate to the students use of video to plan their assignments. because a few of my classmates and I have done that. Nintendo DS was used in the classroom for the purpose of being better problem solvers and knowing when to share. I am glad to have watched Ms. Cassidy's skype interview. It almost seemed as if I was there. Ms. Cassidy has been using technology for ten years. She only started off with five computers, which were Sunray, and they had no programs, just monitors and a keyboard. She was able to use the computers as a reading center, and was federally funded by the government. She has only incorporated using blogs in her classroom or five years, and video for two. Even though she's been through several principals throughout her career, she's had a supportive technology coordinator, who has helped her along the way.  There were questions about the protection of her students, and in order to protect them and make sure they were safe, Ms. Cassidy  sent forms home on the first day of school. I agree with the fact that Ms. Cassidy mentioned that "Technology is not going away, it's here to stay". As a future educator, I plan to use a wide range of technology in my classroom such as blogging, Skype, and Wikis. It is very important to stay up-to-date with technology, because you want to be able to assist the students with their learning and not bore them with regular book, pen, and pencil work. The use of technology will make learning fun and it has the ability to increase the interest of the students and their learning.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ms. Dale,

    Let me say first, thank you for reading and understanding what Ms. Cassidy was trying to do with technology in her classrooms. I have read several student's posts that either did not read the post assignment or did not follow the class instructions for the assignment. As I read through your post I get a sense that you truly feel compelled to utilize technology in your upcoming classrooms. I too, want to take what Ms. Cassidy has done and apply it to my future career in education.
    I would offer one helpful piece of advice in your writing. Proofread, proofread, and more proofread is really all I have to offer in the way of constructive criticism. You made a few punctuation errors and there seems to be no clear defined separation in posts or comments, but the content is very good. The more you proofread your work the better it becomes. Thanks for contributing your part in our constantly growing world of technology.

    Sincerely,

    Jason Lynch
    EDM310 MW4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derkesha,

    Good post. It sounds like you will be incorporating technology to the best of your abilities in your future classroom!

    ReplyDelete